DIY Holiday Shoes

Disclaimer: I made these shoes last Christmas (as in 2011). I’ve just started using my iPad again so I rediscovered these images only a few days ago in my Photos. I decided to post them–albeit a year later haha. This entry also doubles as a MISSING ad. I have not seen these shoes since I wore them a few days after their upcycle.

At this point, I did not have my iPhone yet so I only took photos with my tablet.

Because I have the sweetest bud in the world, Jason bought me three pairs of shoes for my birthday last year. He initially got me something else but it didn’t work out so he gave me freedom to pick out shoes so long as it’s within budget (We assign budgets for gifts. We’re very organized, financially.) Being the freak that I am, the shoes I got were all the same style (plain flats) in different colors from Soleil. I got bored with purple ones almost immediately so I decided to give them a little holiday glam.

20121211-213651.jpg

The bottle of old rose glitter (which is less than P20 from National Book Store) is more than enough. I only used about 40% of it, in fact, and that includes the second coat to cover the bald patches. Extra-fine glitter looks neater than your everyday silver dust. (I based my choice of materials on a pair of Zara glitter shoes I have.) Everything else, we already had at home. The clear acrylic was leftover from when my brother made his Darth Maul mask for Halloween.

Newspapers for minimal mess! I lined the insides with tape (actually I put tape all over the insole) because I wanted to lessen the glitter on the lining; I also stuffed the shoe with crumpled newspaper to give it shape. Apply the glitter bit by bit. That way, you won’t have to worry about the glue drying up then the stress of sticky reapplication. Don’t worry about rubbing glue over the glitter; Elmer’s dries clear so it’s just added protection. Work your way through the shoe first before fixing any patches. I waited for the entire thing to dry up before I worked over the bald spots. Dry them again then spray with acrylic paint! I coated it three times. Make sure you get the edges (between outsole and vamp) because those are the most vulnerable areas. Spray adhesive is better for flexibility, but clear acrylic works fine, too. If I remember correctly, I did not sleep that night in anticipation.

20121211-214916.jpg

Ta-dah! I had worn it only once when whoosh (that is the sound of something vanishing). Interestingly enough, I have no idea where the red ones went as well! The black ones are terribly over-worn that there’s practically no sole left.

If you find these shoes, please tell me ASAP!

Written on December 11, 2012 (almost midnight)

One response to “DIY Holiday Shoes

  1. Pretty element of content. I simply stumbled upon
    your weblog and in accession capital to say that
    I acquire actually enjoyed account your weblog posts.
    Anyway I will be subscribing on your augment or even I fulfillment you get entry to constantly fast.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s