Between this post and my last, I’ve been: (1) watching Friends for 10 days; (2) procrastinating over my “highly pressured” article; (3) online Christmas shopping (really God, time would be a rad Christmas gift). So because I’m on a major writer dry spell, please allow me a few moments of MORE procrastination while I’m waiting for that flash inspiration (any time now) to… flash.
This is my first ever blog meme so go easy on me. It’s called the 30 Movie Meme and I just pretty much have to pick my best movie per given category. I may have cheated a bit. You’re supposed to answer swiftly as you go along but if I did that, Gone With The Wind would show up five times… so I had to make quite a few revisions.
1. The Best Movie You’ve Seen This Year
The formula’s pretty simple but I loved this so much that I watched it twice in the cinema. The pair-ups were so unexpected (Julianne Moore with Steve Carrell, Emma Stone with Ryan Gosling) yet their chemistry was incredible.
Runner-up: Super 8
2. The Most Underrated Movie
It kind of makes Gossip Girl seem like a muppet show.
3. A Movie That Makes You Really Happy
I like all things dysfunctional.
4. A Movie That Makes You Sad
First movie I’ve ever cried in. And now I’m a sap.
Runner up: Pursuit of Happyness
5. Favorite Love Story in A Film
It’s the cliched Romeo-Juliet, heaven-earth plot… but who cares? There’s a reason why that storyline works. John Travolta + lots of singing and dancing = love.
Runner up: Classic it is–Casablanca
6. Favorite Made For TV Movie
Off the top of my head, and just because I really can’t think of anything else.
7. The Most Surprising Plot Twist or Ending
Do I even have to explain? And Mischa Barton under the bed still gets me every time.
Runners up: Down With Love, Shutter Island
8. A Movie That You’ve Seen Countless Times
Runners up: Devil Wears Prada, Bring It On, She’s All That, and 10 Things I Hate About You
9. A Movie With The Best Soundtrack
Guiltily, I don’t really pay much attention to the soundtrack unless it’s really out there. So I’m going for the obvious.
10. Favorite Classic
Because I put Gone With The Wind in a separate category, I’d have to go with my second choice:
Surprised? It’s the complete opposite of GWTW but (1) I love horror films; (2) I love this particular horror film and it would make me sad not to put it her; (3) it’s a classic in every sense of the word. It was either this or Mary Poppins.
11. A Movie That Changed Your Opinion About Something
12. A Movie You Hate
13. A Movie That is Guilty Pleasure
14. A Movie That No One Expected You To Love
15. A Character That You Can Relate To The Most
16. A Movie You Used To Love But Now Hate
17. A Movie That Disappointed You The Most
Adapting something into a movie is a tricky business. There are the Greats (Chris Nolan’s Batman flicks), the Awesome (Jon Favreau’s Iron Man, Kenneth Branagh’s Thor, Sam Raimi’s first two Spiderman movies), the passable (Green Lantern, Spiderman 3), the awful (Superman Returns), and then this film.
18. A Movie You Wish More People Would See
19. Favorite Movie Adaptation From A Book or Comic
Sue me for cheating. This is a mini-series. hahaha
Or Up in the Air
20. Favorite Movie From Your Favorite Actor
21. Favorite Movie From Your Favorite Actress
I don’t have a favorite actress. But I have a lot of favorite actors: Tom Hanks, Robert Downey Jr., Ryan Gosling, and perfectly fitting for this case: Dustin Hoffman.
22. Favorite Action Movie
So not an action fan, but I love kung fu films… so…
23. Favorite Documentary
Does a biopic count as a documentary?
24. Favorite Animation
25. The Most Hilarious Film You’ve Seen
Or Superstar, Tropic Thunder, Blades of Glory
26. A Movie You Love But Everyone Else Hates
Hate is too strong a word… But I was the only one in my family who enjoyed it.
27. A Movie That You Wish You Saw At The Theater
Probably the best of all hockey-related fiction, this choice might come as a surprise (Clearly it fits better in so many other categories). But Mighty Ducks received unorthodox success: While it didn’t score so high in the theaters, it became one of the most awesome family movies of all time when it went to video. Weird. So yes, I would like to see (and appreciate) it on the big screen.
28. Favorite Movie From Your Favorite Director
29. Favorite Film From My Childhood
Runners up: My Girl, Little Rascals
30. Your Favorite Movie of All Time